Kitty finished her Drivers' Ed. classroom and behind-the-wheel sessions. We haven't yet had a chance to go to the DMV to get her permit - or even to the school to pick up the certificate. That's on our to-do list for the next week or so. Then, she starts driving with us - yikes! She's been working on her online science class. She had a great time with the two-week community theatre intensive in July. She worked tech, helping to build the set and ran the lights for the show! The program billed her as "Master Electrician" - pretty cool sounding.
They asked her back for as many productions as she can fit into her schedule. She has already started working tech for their next show.Fatima has been having a pretty low-key summer. She's enjoying playing with Dollbaby, Webkinz and friends. Her sewing lessons continue. She has now completed two dresses, one of which she hopes to wear to her cousin's wedding next month. She had her last VBS as a participant - next year she graduates to a volunteer. After VBS, we celebrated with a very cute movie - Despicable Me. She and Dave are in Atlanta this weekend. They also went there for the 4th of July weekend. She always loves to visit the cousins! This past week was a special treat - one the cousins spent the week with us! They had such a great time together, we pretty much only saw them for meals and the pool. Here they are in matching outfits they chose:
Fatima, Dollbaby and I have been having some "stay-cation adventures" this summer. So far, we've gone to an art museum, natural history museum, and science museum. Dollbaby has been a great trooper and it's been lots of fun to see how much Fatima enjoys the outings.
Art Museum - Queen Charlotte Painting
Natural History Museum - T. Rex Model
Having fun at the Natural History Museum!
One of the new aquarium exhibits at the science museum
Hands on building fun at the science museum :-)
Dave seems to be fully recovered from his injured ribs. However, he still hasn't been able to ski much as the boat has had its own "injuries." Currently, it's in the shop for something extensive. I only remember the painful bottom line, not the reason. Hopefully, he'll get some good ski days in before the season ends. He's also done a few home projects. Mostly, he's having to work a lot lately :-( He did take a week of vacation, solo. Our original idea months ago was for all of us to travel north this summer. But, we nixed that idea after the unpleasant car ride to/from Atlanta with Dollbaby at Easter. Dave ended up having a great time. He went to Indianapolis and visited his aunts, brother, sister and friends, including a group of friends from high school. He also traveled to northern Kentucky to visit and ski with a friend - the same one with whom he went to Florida a few months ago (when he got injured). And, he spent a day in Dayton at the Air Force Museum.
My VBS program was well received. It was a fun week and was exciting and humbling to see the Holy Spirit at work through me. A few Directors at other parishes are reviewing it for feedback. I have a vision to publish it...we'll see where God leads. Dollbaby was great during VBS! Each day when we arrived (early), Fatima took care of her. Then, after the Opening Assembly, Kitty took her to the nursery and helped. I fed her during our daily prayer time in the sanctuary. Then, she'd fall asleep and I'd lay her in her port-a-crib in a big storage closet near my table. She would sleep until time to go home!
My Dad, who has Alzheimer's, has had some setbacks the past few months. Dollbaby and I went home for a weekend visit in early July. He was blessed with good days while we were there and we had a great visit with my parents, sisters, sister-in-law, and nieces and nephews.
Grandpa, Dollbaby, Grandma
Dollbaby was, of course, the big hit. She was a little shy with everyone, but very taken with their dogs! While in Ohio, my sister and her kids introduced me to the game Banana Grams. I loved it, which is funny, because it requires some "jumble" skills, which I usually lack. But, I find it much easier and more enjoyable than Scrabble. I bought our own set when I returned. Fatima and Kitty have indulged me. When Fatima discovered that there are Apple and Pear Grams, she wants to try those, too.
Since VBS ended, I've been able to kick back and relax for the first time in months. I read a great book, "No Turning Back: A Witness to Mercy" by Fr. Donald Calloway. It's an absorbing, very well-written story of his conversion from a rebellious teen/druggie/Dead Head/atheist to a priest! I highly recommend it. I've also been watching the JAG dvds my Aunt lent me. I'm now into Season 8. I remembered several episodes in the early seasons, but the past few seasons were full of ones I'd never seen. The first few of Season 8 I remember, but I think this is the season when NCIS spun off, which I never saw, so I expect I'll soon reach the point where they're all new again (to me). Dollbaby and I went to a going away party for a friend of mine from my newcomers group who moved to Atlanta. Interestingly, Dollbaby wouldn't let my lady friends hold her, but went to their husbands without a problem!
Dollbaby is now 9 months old! She's a petite, lean little thing: 27" (25th-50th percentile) and 14# 13oz (less than 5th percentile). She has had many firsts over the past six weeks! Here are some key ones:
FIRST
* teeth (2 bottom front)
* clapped
* cruised
* big bathtub (with Mama)
* injury - fell on a toy and got a big "goose egg" and bruise :-(
* plane ride - to/from Ohio
* saw Grandpa, Uncles, Aunt Teri, and Ohio cousins
* VBS and first nursery (with Kitty)
* museums - art, natural history and science
* solid foods (rice, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, peas so far)
* climbed up stairs
* said "Mama" and meant it!
* library story time (won't do that again -- picture 30 babies and their parents and all the parents talking the whole time -- can you say CHAOS!)
Adding solids has had the opposite affect on her sleeping habits than conventional wisdom says -- she has regressed to waking up to nurse 2-3 times a night now. I'm hoping this is a VERY short-lived phase!
Here's Dollbaby's first clapping, which we just happened to capture on video!
And, a few fun pictures of Dollbaby...
She loves to tear napkins and tissues!
Climbing under the table Grandpa's Grandpa bought for his bride.
Silly face :-)
She always grabs the spoon, so I just give her an extra one to hold.
She does NOT like the bib!
Along for a ride while Fatima cleans :-)
I'm going to try to resume blogging more frequently and consistently. I'd love to hear from you, too!
No comments:
Post a Comment